Manitoulin Historical Society met Sunday evening to decide on which old sites in Manitou would be officially declared as 'historical site' and receive special protection under the Planning and Development Act of 2015. The society members voted and approved six sites across Manitou for historical status.
The Massey Manor House, built in 1847 by the Northgate family is the largest greenspace region in the municipality. The back grounds of the estate overlook the Harbour District while much of the foreground has been redeveloped as residential condo units.
While not old, the Knight Watch sentinels have been added to the historical listing. The towers guard the outer most corners of the community standing watch against the fury of the Great Canadian ocean.
Lloydminster Abbey was built by the Catholic church in 1874 and remains in use today. It was sold to a non-denominational church in the late 1990s.
Elk Bones Tavern, closed in 2016, the building has been in the community since Louis deVanner first opened its doors in 1854.
The Manitoulin Lighthouse was constructed in 1840 with stone from the Paulstone Quarry of, then, Manitoulin Islands. The lighthouse marked the original entry into the harbour district. Technological advances in 2002 rendered the lighthouse obsolete and it was turned into commercial property.
Built in 1840 to connect the growing town to other ports and allowing for the import and export of goods to the world the Worthington Harbour was built in 1840. Worthington Industries, located in Toronto Canada built the harbour as part of their relationship with the Huston Bae Company. The ships departing the harbour carried corn, grain and fruit from the Manitoulin region to larger city ports for trade. The proceeds of these sales helped to develop the village as a town and a notable presence in the national trade scene.
And last but not least the Paulstone Manor House and Quarry. Established in 1806 the stone from the nearby quarry, and three other sites across the regions, were used to build many of the early homes and shops of the town of Manitoulin. The Paulstone family owned the home until 1979 when the family suffered economic ruin and the structure was abandoned. The town of Manitou purchased the bankrupt estate land in 1984 and fundraising efforts restored the house to its former glory. The ruins of the barn can be seen on the south lawn bordering the parcel that once held the historic Silversmith farm.
The listing will go to council in late September for final approval, this will allow the society to appropriate funds to preserve and protect the sites from unfavourable re-development.
Corran Journal Stats
Most views in a day
August 13, 2015 - 510
March 17, 2017 - 417
Dec 14, 2014 - 400
26,952 since Nov 14/14
We are a roleplay publication featuring activities in the Manitou, GCG regions and beyond.
Donations to Fundraisers 2017:
Hendrix tribute concert
Terry Fox Foundation MC$2,500 (plus MC$2,500 Manitou Tourism)
Rush tribute concert for Kidney foundation, MC$2,500 (plus MC$2,500 Manitou Tourism)
Kevin M. Klerks, Editor
(aka Winter Silversmith)